Wednesday, October 12, 2022

A critique of diacritics in the names of individuals

In the name of globalization and the world becoming a village when will we drop language specific special characters from individuals names? 

Yes, these characters are an important part of the name of an individual and they have a long tradition. They are helpful with pronunciation, they sometimes make a name look more impressive etc., etc. However, they are despite the well developed Unicode Standard (it defines almost 150,000 characters in its latest version) still a pain in the butt!

Sure with modern technology it has become much easier to type these characters, but e.g. my physical American laptop keyboard essentially has none of these special characters easily accessible.

If I had any such special characters in my name I would make every deliberate effort not to use them at all in my daily communications etc. Only official documents or my passport would still show them.

No comments: