Sunday, September 07, 2014

Peace Through Commerce

Posted: 9/7/2014

Trigger

I was looking a little bit into Jainism and read the Wikipedia article on Ahimsa.

Free Trade

I have been familiar for a long time that free trade; free markets; individual freedom, accountability, and responsibility are widely considered to be very conducive to peace and nonviolence among humans across continents and backgrounds.

Choice Of Professional Calling

The above article states: “Through the ages Jains have sought to avoid occupations that unavoidably entail injury [to themselves, to others, or animals], and this accounts for the disproportionate number who have entered banking, commerce and other mercantile trades.”

I was stunned for a moment when I read this. The only other comparable historical example that came immediately to my mind was the choice Jews made because of restrictions etc. that Christianity imposed on Jews. Now this begs the question would have Jews also chosen more mercantile trades or banking if there had not been Christianity for somewhat similar reasons as the Jains?

Faith And Free Market Economics

I would not hesitate to say that this link is much stronger than most people or, in particular, economists would know about or acknowledge. I am sure God would be pleased with more individual freedom and Ahimsa!

No comments: