Saturday, December 08, 2018

First Disappointment With Linux Fedora 29

Posted: 12/8/2018 Updated: 12/12/2018, 12/9/2018

Update Of 12/12/2018

Suffered now three application crashes by now. Two crashes came from the Files utility, which I find strange that such a standard utility becomes so brittle. The other application crash was caused by an application, which I was not able to identify.

Update Of 12/9/2018

Unfortunately, I was premature and had to change the original blog post title from “In Praise of Linux Fedora 29” to the current title.

As if I had come under a spell since publishing this blog, I noticed those annoying application is not responsive messages again with Fedora 29. And today (12/9/2018), my system crashed all of a sudden with a black screen of death, which I had not seen in a long time.

Original Post

For four long years I suffered from poor memory management with the Fedora (Workstation) operating system. Every few days, responsiveness would become molasses and I had to reboot.

A about a week ago, with apprehensions I dared to upgrade from Fedora 28 to Fedora 29 and to my great surprise, they finally tackled this poor memory management problem much to my satisfaction!
Special appreciation also for the very smooth upgrade process without any glitches or negative surprises so far!

No comments: