Monday, October 05, 2026

Scientists discover first type I superconductor that breaks time-reversal symmetry

Amazing stuff!

"... Until recently, every superconductor known to do this was a type II material. But in a study published in the journal Physical Review Letters, researchers report the discovery of a type I superconductor that breaks time-reversal symmetry too. ..."

From the abstract:
"The spontaneous breaking of time-reversal symmetry is a hallmark of unconventional superconductivity, typically observed in type-II superconductors. Here, we report evidence of time-reversal symmetry breaking in the type-I superconductor YbSb2. Zero-field muon spin relaxation and rotation (𝜇⁢SR) measurements reveal spontaneous internal magnetic fields emerging just below the superconducting transition, while transverse-field 𝜇⁢SR confirms a fully gapped type-I superconducting state.
Our first-principles calculations identify YbSb2 as a ℤ2 topological metal hosting a Dirac nodal line near the Fermi level.
Symmetry analysis within the Ginzburg-Landau framework indicates an internally antisymmetric nonunitary triplet (INT) state as the most probable superconducting ground state. Calculations based on an effective low-energy model further suggest that this INT state may host gapless Majorana surface modes, pointing to the possibility of topological superconductivity in YbSb2.
Our results highlight YbSb2 as a unique material platform where type-I superconductivity coexists with triplet pairing and nontrivial topology."

Scientists discover first type I superconductor that breaks time-reversal symmetry










No comments: