Saturday, March 26, 2016

When Overseas U.S. Journalists Jeopardize The Lives Of U.S. Soldiers

Posted: 3/26/2016

Trigger

As usual I listen to NPR during my morning commute. On Thursday, 3/24/16, I listened to a story by Alice Fordham reporting from the north-east corner of Syria and my jaw dropped. The story is titled “A Remote Syrian Airstrip Hints At A Growing American Military Role”

What Is Wrong Here?

I think this story by NPR is representative of highly irresponsible journalism.

  1. This story gives away way too much valuable information about ongoing U.S. military operations to our enemy (e.g. ISIS)
  2. It is not clear from the story whether NPR or the journalist ran this story by the Pentagon before it was aired and published
  3. Although NPR claims “NPR is not specifying the location out of concern that civilians could be targeted by ISIS.”. It should not be too difficult for our enemies to figure what airstrip it is about given all the hints in the story

No comments: