Friday, March 07, 2014

Why Copyrights Protection Are Way Too Long

Brief Background

Western countries grant roughly a copyright lasting to end of life and up to 70 years beyond death of the author. This is absolutely insane!



Declaration of Principles, 1906

An Example

I recently learned that Ivy Ledbetter Lee (1877-1934) was one of the pioneers of public relations in the U.S.

Among other things, he published a book with the title “Present Day Russia” in 1928. I thought that was kind of interesting that this man published something about the Soviet Union.

Google Books would not publish their digitized version for some reason.

According to WorldCat the nearest library to obtain this book is 107 miles away. So I would have to order it to be delivered to a library near me. What a hassle! Why can I not just access this book online in a matter of seconds?

This is an enormous obstacle to human progress!

Related, Previous Blog Posts

Here, here, here, and here.

No comments: