Thursday, May 30, 2019

Google Scholar Annoyances

Posted: 5/30/2019  Updated: 12/19/2019, 6/10/2019, 6/9/2019, 6/6/2019, 6/4/2019

More annoyances
  1. Just tried to access my library at Google Scholar using Google Chrome browser and being logged in with my main Google account (I am a paying customer for Google Drive for years)

    Google Scholar challenges me to prove that I am not a robot! This is so ridiculous! (12/19/2019)
  2. Image classification tasks (Google Mechanical Turk without pay) now also effective when using incognito window in Google Chrome Browser (6/10/2019) EXTREMELY ANNOYING!
  3. Google Scholar is biased against research papers provided by CiteSeerX, although latter is a very good source for AI related research papers in electronic form before roughly 2010 (6/9/2019)
  4. Search function fails when you enter a paper title Google Scholar does not recognize even though the 2017 paper is available on arXiv. Worse Google Scholar would engage me in its extremely annoying Mechanical Turk image classification tasks (blogged about this here). No helpful feedback at all! (6/6/19) 
  5. Search function fails when you enter a arXiv identifier, but Google Scholar has only the NIPS paper (6/4/19)
Original Post

Before I gripe about the annoyances, I want to state that Google Scholar is a great tool and I am very grateful for it. In particular, I appreciate that U.S. patents by scholars are also included. 

My (incomplete) list of annoyances (in no particular order):
  1. The scholar profile pages itself are kind of hidden. To navigate to the scholar profile pages is not very intuitive
  2. It is not possible to drill down/filter the publications of a scholar by publication year
  3. The search function for publications is often not very useful when entering the title of a publication. It returns often a large number of irrelevant search results
  4. When a paper has changed its title (which actually happens quite often) it should be clearly marked and presented
  5. There appears to be no easy way to contact Google Scholar to inform it of issues etc.
  6. There appears to be a very narrow limit on how many alerts you can define. I guess, it is around 40-50 alerts. I have easily hit the limit! Now, I am forced to make decisions which one to keep and which ones to eliminate

More annoyances will be added!

No comments: