Wednesday, June 13, 2012

My Naturalization As A US Citizen

Sometimes GPS Navigation Fails In The Wrong Moment

On that day (late January 2006), my wife and I were driving in downtown Baltimore, MD to find the federal building. Our GPS navigator for some reason was not working properly this morning in the narrow downtown streets. We were circling street blocks.

A Very Special Treatment

Once we finally arrived at the federal building, I jumped out of the car, because I was at about 15 minutes or more late for the naturalization ceremony. I entered the federal building, rushed toward the front desk to address the staff and handed over my papers. Before I could finish explaining my situation, one of the staff of the front desk quickly came out of from behind the front desk and asked me to follow her. She rushed me to the elevator, she stoped the elevator that was just about to leave, telling everyone inside the elevator that I needed to get to the ceremony, and we both entered the elevator. As soon as we arrived at the right floor, she guided me to the room where the naturalization ceremony was held to make sure I did not get lost in the building. I felt very special this moment with all this attention.

The Ceremony

Inside the ceremony room were maybe 200-300 or more people, I do not remember exactly anymore.  There were many families with children and what appeared to be couples or individuals with their parents. They appeared to come from many different countries. A judge or a city official was giving a talk. Most people and myself were in awe. Unfortunately, an immigrant’s dream come true to see the US President to join the ceremony and to greet the new citizens did not happen although the White House is near by.

Aquarium And Italian Lunch

After the ceremony, my wife and I took a stroll along the beautiful harbor of Baltimore. We visited the aquarium at the harbor. From there, we went to Little Italy of Baltimore to celebrate my new citizenship with an Italian lunch, before we went home again.

A US Flag Was Flown Over The Capitol

At the time of my naturalization, I was working at the Heritage Foundation near Capitol Hill. My then boss, Mr. Bill Beach, arranged to have a US flag to be flown over the Capitol in honor of my naturalization.

No comments: