Saturday, January 11, 2014

Bible Study: The Sheep and the Goats

Posted: 11/1/2014

Trigger

The Little Sisters of the Poor quote on their “Vow of Hospitality” webpage from Matthew:
““I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me … sick and you visited me.… Truly I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brethren, you did it to me” (Matthew 25:35–40).”

A Few Thoughts

Why would God distinguish between sheep and goats in the way the Bible does? Are not all animals and humans God’s creation without distinction or preference?

In the Bible, we also find the contrast between Lamb of God (Agnus Dei) and scapegoat. What is wrong with goats? Why were goats singled out? Not by God, I presume.

Why would God distinguish between the blessed/righteous and the cursed in the way described in this chapter? Why would the latter be punished by eternal fire and be prepared for the devil?

Is it possible that God only rewards his creation when we love one another, but never punishes it?

Is there such a distinction between heaven and hell? Perhaps, God is not about symmetry.

No comments: