Saturday, February 28, 2015

Spock's Vulcan Salute

Posted: 2/28/2015

Trigger

This week actor Leonard Nimoy died, best known for his role as Mr. Spock on Star Trek. Until now I was not aware that he was an active Jew.

The Vulcan Salute

I still remember that I have taught myself Spock’s salute in my teenage days through persistent exercise.

Only now, more than three decades later, thanks to the Internet and Google search, I have come to realize there is so much more about this salute:

Was Spock praising God everytime he displayed the salute?

Spock’s Character

From Wikipedia we learn about Leonard Nimoy that:
“The second volume [autobiography of Leonard Nimoy], I Am Spock (1995), saw Nimoy communicating that he finally realized his years of portraying the Spock character had led to a much greater identification between the fictional character and himself. Nimoy had much input into how Spock would act in certain situations, and conversely, Nimoy's contemplation of how Spock acted gave him cause to think about things in a way that he never would have thought if he had not portrayed the character. As such, in this autobiography Nimoy maintains that in some meaningful sense he has merged with Spock while at the same time maintaining the distance between fact and fiction.”

I concur, I may have also identified myself much more with the character of Mr. Spock in my teenage days than I have ever realized. Spock had fascinated me in some ways!


No comments: