Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Abraham Lincoln in 1861: "I would rather be assassinated on this spot than to surrender it"

I believe, President Abraham Lincoln is a highly overrated U.S. president. The American Civil War was unnecessary, unconstitutional and not about slavery, but about secession (read more about it here)!

Perhaps, in those days, the phrase he used ("I would rather be assassinated") was innocent or frequently employed, but he may have also hinted at his obsession.

Lincoln was probably very narrow minded and maniac about secession. Simply, he would not allow it to happen over his dead body! His obsession that slavery would be expanded into the new territories is also peculiar!

"... But, if this country cannot be saved without giving up that principle---I was about to say I would rather be assassinated on this spot than to surrender it. Now, in my view of the present aspect of affairs, there is no need of bloodshed and war. There is no necessity for it. I am not in favor of such a course, and I may say in advance, there will be no blood shed unless it be forced upon the Government. ..."

"... In my opinion, it will not cease, until a crisis shall have been reached, and passed -
"A house divided against itself cannot stand."
I believe this government cannot endure, permanently half slave and half free.
I do not expect the Union to be dissolved - I do not expect the house to fall - but I do expect it will cease to be divided.
It will become all one thing, or all the other.
Either the opponents of slavery, will arrest the further spread of it, and place it where the public mind shall rest in the belief that it is in course of ultimate extinction; or its advocates will push it forward till it shall become alike lawful in all the States, old as well as new-North as well as South. ..."

Address at Independence Hall - Lincoln Home National Historic Site (U.S. National Park Service)

No comments: