Sunday, September 04, 2016

Johann Nepomuk Hummel - A European Story And Tragedy

Posted:

Introduction

In my adventure to discover Classical Music, I have been immediately very impressed by this virtuoso pianist and composer. I believe, his biography is exemplary for Europe in his time.

I have previously blogged about Pastiche in Classical Music.

A European Story And Tragedy

Hundred years after World War I (also euphemistically called the Great War), which, in my opinion, nearly destroyed Western civilization, we still wonder how could this monstrous war have happened.

Briefly, a European biography:

  1. Born in Hungary
  2. Lived and worked in Vienna, Stuttgart, and Weimar
  3. He was a freemason like Mozart. Bequeathed part of his property to a masonic lodge.
  4. Toured several times European countries and Russia
  5. Taught by Mozart, Haydn, Muzio Clementi
  6. Friends with Beethoven, Goethe
  7. Influenced several famous musicians like Chopin
  8. Created one of the first musician’s pension benefit schemes and giving benefit concerts for it

No comments: