Tuesday, June 14, 2016

The Arizona Traffic Violation Racket

Posted: 6/14/2016

Trigger

Recently, I was pulled over for a speeding violation and for not carrying my car registration when I was just coming down from the Hohokam Expressway (AZ state route 143) in Phoenix, AZ. I was stopped in a 35 Mile zone that about 50 yards further turns into a 45 miles zone by a hidden motorcycle police officer. The traffic violation ticket is issued on behalf of Tempe, AZ.

Greedy Politicians

What a nice way to make loads of money milking citizens! In my case the total amount I have to pay for these two traffic violations including a defensive driving class is a whopping $700. The driving school makes only about $35 out of this total, the rest goes to government.

The Situation

When the police officer stopped me, I:
  1. Was Not intoxicated by anything
  2. Was Alert and not distracted by anything
  3. Was Not involved in any accident or caused harm to anyone
  4. Drive this route every work day as it is my commute to work for more than three years. Thus, I know how to drive this route without being too risky or irresponsible
  5. Have no history of accidents involving major damage or any injuries or death

For what exactly am I forced by government to pay about $700!

Not Carrying A Car Registration Violation

In the 16th year of the 21st century, I do not believe, I have to carry the paper version of this car registration with me all the time when I drive. I believe, it is, e.g. not even recommended to leave a paper copy of the car registration in your car (hint: car theft).

Anyway, I photographed my car registration and had it with me on my smartphone, so I thought. However, I also recently replaced my old smartphone with a new one and I in the meantime I have so much more pictures stored on my smartphone as well as in the cloud. Since I do not get pulled over very frequently while driving and I was not able to quickly find the photo of my car registration. The police officer insisted anyway I had to show him a paper copy of the car registration as required by the law.
What an outdated law! Or is this about making money from citizens by greedy politicians? Quite possible!

In this day and age (16th year of the 21st century), a police officer can check the car registration on his/her dedicated computer in less than 60 seconds, I would guess. Police officers, even today, do not scan your VIN number on your vehicle, which I find hard to believe. Thus, the requirement for a driver to carry a paper car registration does not make much sense anymore.

This violation costs me more than $200. This is an obscene amount of money for such a petty offense. It costs me almost as much as my speeding violation.

The Antiquated Arizona Department Of Transportation

The Arizona DOT has a very nice website. But I was not able to find smartphone app for a car registration on their website as of today (6/14/2016).

I would urge the courts in Arizona that handle traffic violations to refuse to recognize anymore the traffic violation of not carrying a paper car registration! Our politicians and bureaucrats should be reminded that we live in the 16th year of the 21st century!

Proof Of Car Insurance

We are insured with Geico and Geico provides an app, which I installed on my smartphone. Voila, I was able to show digital proof of my car insurance to the police officer, which he accepted. That is the way it should be.

The Car Insurance Racket

Since it is mandatory to buy a car insurance in the U.S., like it is since 2008 mandatory to buy Obamacare, the threat of points in your driving record because of such petty traffic violations forces you to accept taking a defensive driving class to avoid the points and higher insurance premiums.

For this ‘privilege’, I have to pay the government another $200 in form of various fees and court fees ($135). This is obscene again!

The Regressive Effect Of Fines

These kind of excessive traffic violation fines are extremely regressive in particular for low income people.

If a business (e.g. a bank) would dare to charge these kind of fees to its customers, the U.S. Department of Justice and more than 20 state attorney generals would prosecute this business into submission.

Previous, Related Blog Posts

I have written a long time ago this post about the unconstitutional speed limits in the U.S.

No comments: