Friday, March 27, 2015

Fed-up With Fedora Linux

Posted: 3/27/2015  Updated: 4/29/15, 4/11/2015

Update 4/29/1515

I forgot to mention that the memory (RAM) management in Fedora truly sucks and I noticed this since I first installed Fedora on my notebook early last year (2014).

I usually have about half a dozen application running at any time. Usually, three instances of Google Chrome browser with total of about 15-20 tabs opened. My 6 GB of RAM is about 90% used up all the time, plus my Swap memory is over 70% used. Responses to keyboard etc. become very sluggish. In this respect, Microsoft Windows is doing a much better job.

This is so annoying!!!!

Update 4/11/15

Printer Installation Failed
Just tried to print a document on our HP laser printer for the first time after all these reinstalls of linux (see below). Apparently, linux recognized the proper printer model, but failed to correctly install the necessary driver this time (Message: printing stopped, run hp plug in). This is upsetting because with Fedora Linux 20 and with my earliest installs of Fedora Linux 21 it used to work nicely out of the box with the same printer as it should be. In this day and age there is no excuse for that happening!

Who are these amateur programmers working for Fedora Linux?

Original

It appears both Fedora 20 & 21 (Workstation) have become instable upon installation of updates. I have now done 4-5 full reinstalls of Fedora on my Lenovo notebook over the past several weeks. I do not install many other applications and I do not claim to be a Linux expert.

Everytime, the instability was triggered by operating system updates prompted by the default Software application. Following first several updates, the boot up after installation ended in Linux emergency mode. Now, with Fedora 21 the latest update done yesterday ended in a Kernel panic (In the Windows world aka Blue Screen of Death).

Today, I googled for crashes with Fedora, but did not find much relevant information other than that there is a Fedora project called Fedup to upgrade Fedora (very aptly named project). Unfortunately, the webpages regarding this project were not very intuitive.

Here is a screenshot of yesterday’s Kernel panic:

The second line from the top says “junk in compressed archive”. Do these Fedora developers not test their stuff before they release it? Grrr!

No comments: