Monday, September 30, 2013

Laser Dentistry Is Incredible

Prologue

I had intended to write a blog post about it for some time.

Personal Experience

Unfortunately, I was born with cavity prone teeth despite daily thorough cleaning and frequent flossing for most of my life. Basically all my teeth were drilled and filled at some point, some teeth multiple times.

I have grown up with dreadful belt driven drills in my childhood. Local anesthesia followed by a large dose of regular anesthesia to thoroughly numb the area before drilling were not common more than 20 years ago.

Nothing Compares To A Laser Drill

A few years ago I had my first ever laser drilling done. Just a few months ago my second one. It was so awesome! It is so fast you barely notice! Within minutes you are done. Plus, it takes less of the healthy tooth away than conventional methods.

Caveat: I was told by my dentist that a laser drill cannot be applied to teeth with Amalgam filling or which still have remnants of Amalgam filling from years back. Therefore, some of my teeth do not qualify for laser treatment. What a pity!

What’s Next?

Laser drilling is great, but when can humanity have hardened teeth that defy cavities and last a lifetime? I do not mean fluoride treatment as it is not sufficient.


No comments: